Coconut Cream Pie Recipe
Posted by Warren
Makes one 9-inch pie, single crust, cream filling. Total prep
Coconut Cream Pie is a classic. It is delicious and simple to prepare.
This version of coconut cream pie incorporates several ingredients to add more coconut flavoring and a creamier velvet cream.
These touches conspired to make this one of the most delicious coconut cream pie you have ever tried.
Creamy coconut cream pies are best made a day in advance so that it has plenty of time to chill and set.
This cream filling recipe is the foundation for almost all of the cream or pudding pies that most eat for dessert.
Coconut Cream Pie Recipe
Pastry dough – single crust
2 3/4 cups half-and-half milk
1/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 oz white chocolate chips
5 large egg yolks (beaten)
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons powder sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup tossed coconut flakes
1. Pre-baked the pie crust shell and set aside to cool.
2. Filling: Warm the half-and-half and coconut milk in a heavy non-aluminum pot over low heat. Mix in the white chocolate chips. Stir with a whisk until the chips is melting. The mixture will speckle with white flakes.
3. Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar in a non-aluminum bowl. Mix until mixture is a pale yellow.
4. Add the cornstarch and salt and the vanilla. Beat it well.
5. Slowly pour the warm mixture into the yolk mixture while you are mixing.
6. Return the mixture to the pot and heat until it thickens. Continue to stir mixture while it is cooking. In about 10 minutes or more the mixture will start to bubble.
7. Remove it from the heat and stir until smooth, about 1 minute.
8. Pour the coconut cream filling into the pie crust and smooth the top with a spatula.
9. Cover the pie filling with plastic wrap. Press the plastic directly onto the surface of the filling. Let the pie cool in the refrigerator until cold and firm, 2-4 hours.
10. The topping is made using an electric mixer or a whisk. Whip the heavy cream, powder sugar, and vanilla until still peaks form. Spread the whipped cream on chilled pie.
Never take your eye off
coconut toasting in the oven.
It will go from golden to burnt in seconds.
11. For added decoration add tossed coconut on top of the whipped cream.
12. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Let it stand for 10 to 20 minutes at room temperature before serving to take the chill off.