Great Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Posted by Warren
Makes one 9-inch pie, single crust, custard filling. Total prep
that is not
a chore to make.
The pumpkin mixture is cooked before filling the pie. This prevents a soggy bottom crust and intensifies the flavors. Even though this uses canned pumpkin your tasters will think it was fresh.
Great Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Pastry dough – single crust
2 cups canned pumpkin
1 cup candy yams
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup heavy cream
Yolks give the pie
1 cup milk
3 eggs whole
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
1. Prepare your favorite pastry: Roll the pastry and line a 9-inch pie plate with the bottom crust. Chill the pastry for at least 15 minutes.
2. Line the crust with foil and add your pie weights.
3. Put the pie crust in a 400° F oven for 15 minutes.
4. Take the pie crust out of the oven. Remove the pie weights and foil.
5. Rotate the pie crust in the oven and bake for 5 to 10 minutes more or just when edges start to brown.
6. Filling – In a large sauce pan add the canned pumpkin, candy yams, sugar, maple syrup, salt, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg.
6. Cook this over medium heat for 15 minutes. This will concentrate the flavors and remove that can taste from the pumpkin puree.
7. Build the custard portion in a large bowl. Add the cream, milk, eggs, yolk and vanilla. Whisk the ingredients.
8. Add the custard mixture to the pumpkin slowly, stirring at the same time. Continue mixing until it is smooth.
9. Pour the warm pumpkin mixture slowly in to a warm pre-baked pie crust.
10. Bake the pumpkin pie in a 400° F oven for 10 minutes. Turn down to 325° F and bake for 30-45 minutes longer.
11. Check for doneness in two ways:
ARVE Error: id and provider shortcodes attributes are mandatory for old shortcodes. It is recommended to switch to new shortcodes that need only url
a) Give it a little shake and the very center should jiggle a little bit. The filling should still be firm but wiggle some in the center.
b) Or take a temperature in the center, and it should register about 175° F.
The filling will still cook a little when removed from the oven. If you wait until the center is set, it has over cooked. You will get cracks, especially along the edges of the filling.
12. Let the pie cool for 2 -3 hours. Refrigerate the pie for up to three days or freeze it for one month.
Yes, you can freeze a fully baked pumpkin pie. Learn how the right way at my Freeze Pumpkin Pie page.
Best Pumpkin Pie Recipes